Portneuf Wound Care & Hyperbaric Clinic
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does it work?
Normally, the air we breathe is 21 percent oxygen. During Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, you will breathe pure oxygen (100 Percent) and the pressure surrounding your body will be slowly increased to two or three times normal. The increased oxygen you breathe will also increase the oxygen your blood carries to body tissues. This abundance of oxygen in your tissues enhances the repair of tissue damage. It is a process that helps heal your wound from the inside out.
- What is Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment?
Initially used to treat underwater divers with the bends, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy has been proven effective in treating many diseases. It does not replace other reliable treatments such as surgery and medication, but is generally prescribed in conjunction with other treatments.
- Who can utilize Hyperbaric Oxygen treatments?
Accepted indications for hyperbaric oxygen therapy encompass a wide range of clinical conditions including:
- Diabetic Foot Wounds
- Compromised Skin Grafts or Flaps
- Osteomyelitis (Refractory)
- Air or Gas Embolism
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Crush Injury, Compartment Syndrome, and other Acute Traumatic Ischemias
- Cyanide Poisoning
- Decompression Sickness
- Enhancement of Healing Selected Problem Wounds
- Selected Refractory Anaerobic Infections
- Exceptional Blood Loss Anemia
- Gas Gangrene
- Necrotizing Soft Tissue Infections
- Radiation Necrosis: Osteoradionecrosis and Soft Tissue Radiation Necrosis
- Thermal Burns
- Are there any side effects or after effects?
The most common effect is a "fullness" or popping sensation in your ears which lasts only briefly. As with most medical treatments, there may also be other effects. Such other effects are rare, and a staff member will discusses them with you in detail before treatment.
- When is it a good idea to consult Portneuf Wound Care & Hyperbaric Center?
- When a wound hasn’t started to heal in 2 weeks or isn’t completely healed in 4 weeks.
- Why would your doctor refer you to Portneuf Wound Care & Hyperbaric Center?
- A wound care specialist is trained to diagnose the wound and understand how the underlying causes are preventing healing, and then select a proven clinical pathway to accelerate the healing process and reduce overall healthcare costs. We see your urgent patients within 24 hours of your phone call Monday – Friday. We offer Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (please see attached page for common indications for HBO treatment) We are physician directed and we are affiliated with a national wound care organization and are able to compare our local healing rates to national outcomes.